Veterans’ benefits are owed by the Veterans’ Administration, and by the country, to those who served honorably. Vets and their families may be entitled to pension benefits, healthcare, and access to a number of other programs and services.
As you get older and the effects of aging change your life, the types of benefits that you can take advantage of will expand. You may become eligible for many new veterans’ benefits that you were not even necessarily aware you had coming to you. These benefits can sometimes help to improve your quality of life, to cover costs of care, and to make it possible for you to continue living independently for longer.
Kinghorn Heritage Law Group, PLC provides representation to veterans in understanding what they have earned through their service and in helping them to take full advantage of the benefits that are due to them. Give us a call at (520) 529-4000 to talk with a Tucson veterans’ benefits lawyer to find out answers to questions you have about veterans’ benefits including:
- What veterans’ benefits am I entitled to?
- How can I get veterans’ benefits?
- What can a Tucson veterans’ benefits lawyer do to help me?
What Veterans’ Benefits Am I Entitled To?
There are many different kinds of veterans’ benefits that you may be entitled to receive, depending upon your service record; health status; family income; and availability of benefits within your community. As you begin to get older, some of the most important benefits that you may be entitled to include:
- Aid & Attendance: A&A is the name given to a pension increase available to military veterans who need help performing daily functions; who are bedridden; who have poor eyesight; or who live in a nursing home. The costs of in-home or nursing home care for veterans who fit this criteria can be expensive, so A&A helps to defray some of the costs.
- Geriatrics care: The VA has many different types of geriatric care programs which are a part of its Geriatrics and Extended Care Services (GEC). One of the important programs that you can gain access to is Shared Decision Making, which helps you to make choices about your long-term care preferences and about other issues that arise when you have a chronic disease or life-limiting illness.
- Short-term or long-term care services: There are options for senior veterans to live in VA nursing homes, community nursing homes, or medical foster homes. The VA can also offer help with securing home care for vets who want to stay in their homes but who need extra help.
There are also programs like Adult Daycares which can help senior vets to remain independent longer by providing social support and assistance with routine activities of daily living. The many different benefits provided to seniors are intended to help you to live your fullest life, have the highest quality of life, and mitigate the financial consequences that infirmity and old age can bring.
How can I Get Veterans’ Benefits?
The process of securing veterans’ benefits is going to vary based on the specific program(s) of interest. The VA explains that you can apply for some benefits programs online using their eBenefits program. It is also possible to visit a regional VA office for assistance.
While VA representatives and agents can provide some important assistance with applying for benefits, you should also strongly consider getting outside legal help from an experienced attorney. The VA has developed a reputation in recent years for not being as responsive as the agency should to the needs of veterans. The Veterans’ Administration also has outdated technology which can make it hard to confirm service history and which can create other obstacles during the benefits application process.
You should not have to cope with a difficult or stressful process of applying for benefits on your own. You should have a knowledgeable legal advocate who can offer you comprehensive assistance with all aspects of navigating the VA bureaucracy. Kinghorn Heritage Law Group, PLC is here to help you.
What can a Tucson Veterans’ Benefits Lawyer Do to Help?
Kinghorn Heritage Law Group, PLC provides you with assistance making an assessment of what VA benefits you could be eligible to receive. Our legal team will work closely with you to evaluate your needs and find the services and programs offered through the VA that meet those needs. We’ll then assist you throughout the entirety of the process of applying for the veterans’ benefits that you deserve. Call a Tucson veterans’ benefits lawyer today to find out more. You can give us a call at (520) 529-4000 or contact us online to get in touch with our legal team.